15 May How has the emphasis on quality of care, patient safety, and clinical care outcomes been impacted by specific standards emanating from TJC and/or CMS? Cite your selected c
- How has the emphasis on quality of care, patient safety, and clinical care outcomes been impacted by specific standards emanating from TJC and/or CMS? Cite your selected core measure or Never Event in your response.
- What is the impact of the nurse’s role in clinical outcomes for the organization?
- Discuss nurse-specific challenges in influencing change in quality improvement.
- How does this influence the ability of the organization to achieve its strategic agenda?
PROMOTING SAFETY AND QUALITY
In the article “Managing to Improve Quality: The Relationship Between Accreditation Standards, Safety Practices, and Patient Outcomes,” the authors discuss the growing trend by medical insurance companies to eliminate reimbursement for Never Events. As these types of mistakes should be easily preventable, hospitals have developed protocols to lessen or extinguish the occurrence of these events. In addition, The Joint Commission (TJC) and the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) have developed core measures to guide health care providers’ efforts in improving patient safety and the quality of care delivered.
Health care organizations have developed strategic agendas to help meet these standards and reduce the incidence of Never Events. Nurses significantly influence the overall quality of health care provided and play a pivotal role in improving patient outcomes.
For this Discussion, you will consider the standards that are in place for nurses and how they can be used to improve quality of care.
· Amin, A.N., Hofmann, H., Owen, M.M. Tran, H., Tucker, S., & Kaplan, S.H. (2014). Reduce readmissions with service-based care managementLinks to an external site. . Professional Case Management, 19(6), 255-262. http://doi.org/10.1097/NCM.0000000000000051
· Forster, A.J., Dervin, G., Martin, C. & Papp, S. (2012). Improving patient safety through the systematic evaluation of patient outcomesLinks to an external site. . Canadian Journal of Surgery, 55(6), 419-425. http://doi.org/10.1503/cjs.007811
· Johansen, M.L. (2014). Conflicting priorities: Emergency nurses perceived disconnect between patient satisfaction and the delivery of quality patient careLinks to an external site. . Journal of Emergency Nursing, 40(1), 13-19. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.jen.2012.04.013
· McDowell, D. S. & McComb, S.A. (2014). Safety checklist briefings: A systematic review of the literatureLinks to an external site. . Association of PerOperative Registered Nurses Journal, 99(1), 125-137. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.orn.2013.11.015
· Payne, D. (2014). Elderly care: Reflecting on the ultimate ‘never event’Links to an external site. . British Journal of Nursing, 23(13). 702. http://doi.org/10.12968/bjon.2014.23.13.702
· Thornlow, D.K. & Merwin, E. (2009). Managing to improve quality: The relationship between accreditation standards, safety practices, and patient outcomesLinks to an external site. . Health Care Management Review, 34(3), 261-272. http://doi.org/10.1097/HMR.0b013e3181a16bce
· American Hospital AssociationLinks to an external site. . (2016). http://www.aha.org/ Explore the American Hospital Association’s website. Focus on the information on improving patient safety and quality of care.
· American Organization of Nurse ExecutivesLinks to an external site. . (2016). http://www.aone.org “Since 1967, the American Organization of Nurse Executives (AONE) has provided leadership, professional development, advocacy and research to advance nursing practice and patient care, promote nursing leadership excellence and shape public policy for health care nationwide. AONE is a subsidiary of the American Hospital Association” (AONE, 2016).
· Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. (n.d.). Quality of care centerLinks to an external site. . http://www.cms.gov/Center/Special-Topic/Quality-of-Care-Center.html?redirect=/center/quality.asp Most health care organizations receive some amount of reimbursement from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). Reimbursement continues to be jeopardized and reduced by pay for performance standards. Health care organizations are being held to higher standards by CMS. Explore the standards set to improve patient safety and the quality of care. Consider how they affect acute care providers and nursing practice.
· The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. (2016). Health and Medicine Division Links to an external site. . http://www.nationalacademies.org/hmd/
· The Health and Medicine Division (HMD) promotes policies and best practices in an effort to improve patient safety and delivery of quality care. Review a few of the publications available at this site.
· The Joint Commission. (2016). National Quality Forum (NQF) endorsed nursing-sensitive care performance measures Links to an external site. . http://www.jointcommission.org/national_quality_forum_nqf_endorsed_nursing-sensitive_care_performance_measures/ The Joint Commission (TJC) also accredits health care organizations. Through funding provided by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, the Joint Commission developed the Implementation Guide for the National Quality Forum (NQF) Endorsed Nursing-Sensitive Care Performance Measures. Review this guide as you consider how core measures and national guidelines improve nursing practice.
· Walden University, LLC. (2009). Topics in clinical nursing: Accountability for clinical outcomes and promoting safety and quality [Video]. Walden University Canvas. https://waldenu.instructure.com/
· Note: The approximate length of this media piece is 15 minutes.
To prepare for this Discussion:
· Review the information at the Joint Commission and Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services websites on the core measures and standards presented in this week’s Resources.
· Consider the nurse’s role in supporting the organization’s strategic agenda as it relates to improving clinical outcomes.
· Conduct an Internet search for either a Never Event or a core measure and select one to address in your post.
Respond to the following:
· How has the emphasis on quality of care, patient safety, and clinical care outcomes been impacted by specific standards emanating from TJC and/or CMS? Cite your selected core measure or Never Event in your response.
· What is the impact of the nurse’s role in clinical outcomes for the organization?
· Discuss nurse-specific challenges in influencing change in quality improvement.
· How does this influence the ability of the organization to achieve its strategic agenda?
Support your response with references from the professional nursing literature.
Note: Post a 3-paragraph (at least 350 words) response. Be sure to use evidence Links to an external site., in-text citations Links to an external site. , and essay-levelLinks to an external site. writing skills, including the use of transitional materialLinks to an external site. and organizational framesLinks to an external site. . Use the writing resources and the Discussion Rubric to develop your post.
Read two or more of your colleagues’ postings from the Discussion question (support with evidence if indicated).
Respond with a comment that asks for clarification, provides support for, or contributes additional information to two or more of your colleagues’ postings.
Our website has a team of professional writers who can help you write any of your homework. They will write your papers from scratch. We also have a team of editors just to make sure all papers are of HIGH QUALITY & PLAGIARISM FREE. To make an Order you only need to click Ask A Question and we will direct you to our Order Page at WriteDemy. Then fill Our Order Form with all your assignment instructions. Select your deadline and pay for your paper. You will get it few hours before your set deadline.
Fill in all the assignment paper details that are required in the order form with the standard information being the page count, deadline, academic level and type of paper. It is advisable to have this information at hand so that you can quickly fill in the necessary information needed in the form for the essay writer to be immediately assigned to your writing project. Make payment for the custom essay order to enable us to assign a suitable writer to your order. Payments are made through Paypal on a secured billing page. Finally, sit back and relax.
We are a professional paper writing website. If you have searched a question and bumped into our website just know you are in the right place to get help in your coursework. We offer HIGH QUALITY & PLAGIARISM FREE Papers.
How It Works
To make an Order you only need to click on “Place Order” and we will direct you to our Order Page. Fill Our Order Form with all your assignment instructions. Select your deadline and pay for your paper. You will get it few hours before your set deadline.
Are there Discounts?
All new clients are eligible for 20% off in their first Order. Our payment method is safe and secure.